Wednesday 11 May 2016

LO3 - Unedited Photos


For this shot I used a shutter speed of 1/400 seconds with an aperture of f/4.0. These settings allowed me to be able to allow just enough light into the camera to pick up my subject, without taking in too much light in from the stage lights behind my subject, that would impede the view of the subject. I used a 50mm prime lens which was faster at capturing the images so that I would not have to up my iso too much that it would create noticeable grain and noise. I had an ISO 8000 for this image. This allowed the correct about of light into the sensor without creating too much grain. When taking this image I used manual focus so that the flashing lights would not effect the autofocus. This also made sure that i wouldn't miss a shot due to the time it took for the camera to focus. The framing of this subject uses the rule of thirds. The subjects head is placed just on the rule of thirds lines which draws attention to his head and the beaming light behind him. This is done using the spiral theory as the space underneath the guitarist being a whole large rectangle, the rectangles divide up in a spiral shape which is what our eyes follow, leading to his face. This photo was taken using manual settings. Additionally I used the technique of viewpoint, having the guitarist looking down at the camera can give of the feel of you being at the gig. 




For this image I decided to focus on the drummer of the band. Again I used the rule of thirds for the focus of the "Boats N Hoes" Quote on the bass drum as i felt that this was an interesting feature of the image. I used an exposure of 1/400 second and an aperture of f4.0 however I don't think, looking back at the picture was enough to sufficiently allow the correct amount of light in. Therefore I will bring up the exposure in post editing. I again used a 50mm prime lens as this is one that can focus quickly on objects as it does not have to zoom. I used an ISO of 8000 to help boost the amount of light in the dark room. For this photo I took it using manual settings to maximise control. Additionally I used the technique of composition for this image, by placing the drum kit in the center with the drummer slightly above it.




This is a portrait photo of the  bassist of The Mayfairs. This was also taken with my stock manual settings which were 1/400 seconds with an aperture of 4 f stops. Although this allowed enough light in, I don't believe that the subject is clear enough so that is something I will have to change while editing. To bump up the light hitting the sensor in a dark room I used an ISO of 8000. For this image I used a prime 50mm portrait lens to help quickly focus on my subject. What I like about this image is the bassists facial expression. I tried to capture him when he looked as though he was really connecting with the music. I believe that this can connote to the audience passion for music and how people can express themselves through music. This photo has similar aspects to it as Shirlaine Forrest's work. For this photograph I tried to express a narrative through the way I singled out the bassist. This creates questions as to who he's with and who he's playing for. For this image I used viewpoint, having the guitarist looking out over the audience making the viewer fell as though they are in the audience.




This image is of Eddie Gray playing guitar while smiling. I chose to take the photo in this specific moment, to capture his smile and his expression. This expression can connote to the audience that he's really enjoying playing music and that he's expressing himself through music. This photo has a similar feel to that of Leo Matus. This is as he takes photos with lights shining from behind his subject. This can help create an element of mystery as it's herder to see the subject. The stage lights also connote music and live performances. This photo was taken with a 50mm prime portrait lens as it is quicker at focusing in comparison to zoom lens'. It was shot at 1/500 th of a second with an aperture of f / 4.0. However I feel as though this did not allow enough light into the sensor as the subject is too dark, which i'll have to change while editing. The white balance in this photo is just the camera's standard setting. In this image I used the technique of viewpoint, shooting from below the guitarist can help create a sense of being there for the audience. 




This image is of the lead guitarist of Ballamona. I took this photo due to the lighting and the way Billy was playing the guitar at the time. He looked to be really enjoying playing the guitar and seemed in his own little world. This can be connoted from the picture and can give off a sense of isolation and enjoyment. I took this picture with a shutter speed of 1/100 th of a second and a high aperture of f / 1.8. This allowed enough light into the sensor for the image to be captured showing my subject, while not over exposing the camera to the stage lights. The stage lighting made this photo easy to take as it creates a great look. I shot this photo with a 50mm prime portrait lens to allow me to manually focus without altering the zoom and aperture. This used a ISO of 6400 which allows me to compensate for the lack of natural light while keeping the noise level to a low. I took this photo with a strange viewpoint. It was taken at a canted angle as the guitarist is leaning over, I tried to match this as it keeps him in the center of the frame while moving everything around him. I find this image similar to the work of Ebru Yildiz due to the colours and weird angle it's taken at.




This photo is of Ballamonas' drummer, Tom Monk. This photo came out better than expected due to the movement of his hair and is incredible facial expression. This, like my other photos captures the drummer in a state where he seems to be connected to the music, feeling every beat. This shows his expression and what his passion for music is. This photo is fairly under exposed however with the bright stage light between me and the drummer is was hard to get a shot without this affecting this. If I was to do it again I would try to get closer to the drummer. This was taken with a shutter speed of 1/100 second, This seems like it was underexposed but was probably the best setting to use in the circumstances. I also shot this with an aperture of f / 1.8, however I feel as though an aperture of f / 4.0 would of suited this scene better as it would of allowed more light from the whole area in. This photo was also taken with a prime 50mm portrait lens. Additionally this photo uses the rule of thirds, placing the drummers head where the two lines would connect, allowing the audience to focus their attention on that.




This photo is again of Billy the guitarist. I took this photo as he seems incredibly focused on the guitar, giving all his attention to it. This can connote to the audience his passion for music, just as I was trying to do. If I was to take this photo again I would have turned my shutter speed down to create more contrast as I feel this image is slightly over exposed. This photo was shot with a shutter speed of 1/100 th of a second and a aperture of f /1.8 to create a shallow depth of field. This made the image focus on him and blurs out the background. I used a 50mm prime portrait lens as this was the most recommended lens to use for live gigs. Additionally I used an ISO of 6400 which kept the noise level to a low while allowing the right amount of light into the sensor. Due to the stage lighting in this image I would compare it to the work of Ebru Yildiz, Within this picture there are two places of interest, one is the guitar itself andthe other being his face. I used the technique of shallow depth of field in this photo to isolate the guitarist from the background.




This image is of Billy from ballamona. I chose to take this photo for two reasons. One is for his hair, which looks highly cliche to the genre. Additioanlly this creates a sense of mystery as we can't see his face and only his hair and guitar is present to judge from. Secondly is the position he is holding the guitar. This is similar to ways many famous people play their guitars and can connote professionalism in his playing style. This photo has an aperture of f / 1.8 to create a shallow depth of field and help focus on the subject. I took this photo with an shutter speed of 1/100 th of a second which allowed the perfect amount of light in to capture my subject. However I feel as though the contrast and clarity can be turned up in editing to bring the subject out more. I shot this with a ISO of 6400 which allowed me to take the photo without too much grain as the iso was compensating for the lack of natural light. When taking this photo I used the spiral that is seen in the rule of thirds. 




This photo focus' on the bassist and singer of the group. This image isolates both of them and shows them in the moment. The singers facial expression shows passion and contempt as he seems to be in his own little world. If i was to take this photo again I would of uses a larger aperture as this blurs out  too much of the bassist, and i would of liked to capture both of them. Therefore I would have used an aperture of f / 4.0 instead of f / 1.8. For this image I used a shutter speed of 1/100 th of a second with a prime 50mm portrait lens. Additioanlly I used an ISO of 6400 for this image. This image was taken with the intention of using the rule of thirds placing the main subject, the singers face, where the two lines meet as this is where our eyes are naturally drawn to. This shot is incredibly similar to one of Allister Ann's famous photos.




This image is taken of the whole band similar to Kyle Gustafson. I tried to capture what its like to see the gig from an audiences perspective. Additionally I tried to capture the audience as they all look captivated by the music. I shot this image with an exposure of 1/100 th of a second and an aperture of f / 1.8. However if I was to take this image again I would of had a wider aperture to help get everyone in focus. Moreover I used an ISO of 6400 to help boost the amount of light reaching the cameras sensor. For this image I used a framing technique as the audiences heads lead into the band on stage. I used the technique of framing, having the audience in front of the camera, which makes it feel as though we are in the audience.



No comments:

Post a Comment